Friday 16 September 2011

Elephant Collage

Who am I?
I am grey.
I make a loud noise.
I am very big.
I have a trunk.
I have 4 legs.
I am an elephant.
By Room 1

All week we have been share reading 'The Zoo' poem and talking about Zoo animals, next week we will be writing our own 'Who am I?' animal riddles for our friends to read. I love how this type of writing is so interactive. It is always fun to lift the flap to discover the answer to the riddle.

We have also enjoyed reading about the adventures of Elmer the Patchwork Elephant (by David McKee). Elmer is a kind and funny elephant who loves to play jokes on his fellow elephants. The neat part of the story is that it subtlety presents the concept that it is okay to be different.


Today we made these fabulous patchwork collage elephants, thanks to Montessori Moments for inspiration and a great step-by-step tutorial.



An elephant in progress, look at the very careful placement of Elmer's patchwork.

 This elephant is nearly ready for cutting, he is just making sure the outline is covered in patches of paper.

And finally practicing our very important cutting skills and carefully cutting Elmer out.

My class of 5 year olds were able to complete this art work almost independently, with just some help needed cutting around Elmer's legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment